To encourage energy efficiency and stimulate the local economy, the City of Tallahassee will double its existing rebates on certain ENERGY STAR and natural gas appliances purchased locally starting Monday, September 15. The program was approved by the Tallahassee City Commission at its regular meeting Wednesday, September 10.
The double rebate incentive applies to qualifying purchases from September 15 through September 30, 2014. The timing of the offer enables customers to take advantage of additional savings by purchasing ENERGY STAR-qualified appliances during the recently enacted Florida sales tax holiday, September 19-21. During this period, no sales tax or local option tax will be collected on qualifying purchases of new ENERGY STAR products.
Additionally, special sales, discounts, manufacturer’s rebates and federal tax credits on ENERGY STAR-qualified products may be available, as well.
Appliances must be purchased during this time and rebate applications must be received by October 31, 2014. For items that require permits, the permit must be pulled in this time period; the final installation and rebate application must be submitted by December 5th, 2014. For items that can use a sticker permit, appliances must be purchased during this time and the sticker permit must be submitted by December 5th.
Specific eligibility criteria and other details are indicated on the rebate forms, which may be downloaded on Talgov.com/YOU.
Here are a few important points about the proposed double rebate offer:
- The City will double its rebates from September 15 through September 30, keyed to the following dates:
- a) For HVAC and new gas installations requiring a permit: the Permit Request Date
- b) For replacement gas installations using a sticker permit: the paid invoice or Purchase Receipt Date
- c) For appliances not requiring a permit: the Paid Invoice or Purchase Receipt Date
- d) In the City’s Energy Loan Program: the Proposal Date or Permit Request Date
- Rebates will be credited to the customer’s utility bill. Alternatively, they may be assigned to the contractor or home builder at the customer’s request.
- For HVAC and gas appliances, the vendor or installing contractor must be based in Leon County, or the installing contractor must be listed in the City’s Loan Handbook.
- Natural gas appliance rebates are applicable where City natural gas is available or made available.
- The maximum of all combined rebates is $2,750.
For more information, please contact: Kim Meeks at 891.6841 (for ENERGY STAR rebates and energy-efficiency loans) or Vicki O’Neil at 891.5569 (for natural gas rebates).